Everybody’s got to delegate sometimes
Everyone is a little fearfully of delegating tasks, we all have the same qualms and insecurities that circulate in our heads the moment we even think about it.
This is usually due to:
Impatience: “I can do it faster,” and “It’ll take me forever to train them.”
Unwillingness to let go: They just won’t do it right (AKA the way I do it) so why bother?
Subconscious fear: They’ll do it better than me and I’ll suddenly be demoted, and all my responsibilities will get taken away from me and given to the person I delegated to.
There are 3 reasons why you must delegate, whether you like it or not:
- When we all look good…we all look good
- You’re driven, right? Well, you can’t take on more responsibility unless you let some stuff go
- Because an empowered team has your back
Now you know why to delegate, here are 6 steps to help you embrace delegating
- Overcome your fears
- Choose the right candidate
- Create a reference guide
- Oversee but don’t micromanage
- Sandwich constructive criticism between praise
- Accept that mistakes happen
You can only do so much at work, so at some point, if you want to move up in your career, you must delegate aspects of your job, even if you think you’re the only one who will do it “right.”